Monday, June 25, 2007






I saw my first Kuwaiti sunrise since I arrived in April and was so jetlagged I would wake up at 3am, unable to fall back asleep. The sun comes up around 4:45am so it’s high in the sky before I usually get outside to go to work. A friend had a birthday party last weekend and after a long night of Charades and Truth or Consequences (I wish I was kidding) the sun was almost up when I got home. So I grabbed my camera and the top photo is the one that turned out the best. When I first looked at the photos on my computer, I thought it looked more like a tropical sunset than a Middle East sunrise.

Last week on Monday, I got done eating dinner, stepped outside, looked up at the moon and saw what I thought was a bright star right by the moon and the second picture was what I saw. (In August, the Earth will be closer to Mars than it has been in about 60,000 years.) It looked like the mirror image of the Turkish flag with the star on the wrong side. Speaking of Turkey, did you know that in 1928, a law was passed there to make it illegal to use the letters Q, W, and X?

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhiannon said...

Both pictures are excellent, though to think that you were able to get a photograph of mars next to the moon like that, amazing!!

Page said...

Hi Adam-I saw your blog on Rhiannon's and thought I'd check to see what you are up to. Sounds like you are living an exciting life these days-my days consist of things like poopy diapers and laundry! I know you are envious!