Sunday, May 13, 2007






It must be desert Karma. After I write how bad the drivers in Kuwait are, I get in an accident. On the way to work on Tuesday morning, I was the 7th car in an 8 car accident. Long story short, an American woman driving too fast on the shoulder caused the accident. She was with the military so she was the only one who didn’t go to the police station. Never saw her after heading to the police station. We were all lucky, there were no injuries. My white Camry wasn’t as lucky. I hit the guy in front of me and then immediately after got rear ended. It was an interesting day after that, spending most of it in 3 different police stations and giving a statement to a police officer in a white robe through a translator. I saw most of the people from my office on the highway as we all take the same way to work. But it seemed like everyone knew and they treated me like I had finally been initiated into Kuwait. Below the picture of my car is a copy of the police report. Any idea what it says?

I’ve been reading the Kuwait newspaper everyday and have read some interesting things. One was about a guy who was passed out in a park from drinking. Someone had called the police to report a corpse and when the police went to the park, “the corpse got up and started walking towards them” to quote the paper. He was arrested. Another thing I read this week was about Hamas Mickey. This is an Islamic show for kids whose host bears a striking resemblance to Mickey Mouse but his message is a little different. After reading about him in the Kuwaiti paper I did some searches and it looks like he popped up in the US papers too. Check out the link.

The other picture above is me with the guy I work with the most. His name is Kiran Thuse. Almost all of the guys I work with are from India, which doesn’t make learning names easy. I’m about average when it comes to remembering the names of people I meet but it’s a lot harder when I’ve never even heard the name before. Anil, Subodh, Debasish, Shashidar, Natarajan, Praveen. I’ve got those down but tomorrow when I meet someone else, it’s right back to the beginning.

I’m off to Ulsan, South Korea on Wednesday. UOP has a two other projects being built there that need babysitting so I get a week break from the desert. I’m looking forward to seeing a new place but with a 40 degree drop in temperatures I don’t think I’ve packed enough warm clothes. I’ll let you know what interesting things I find in Korea.

If you’re interested in seeing what the weather is like in Kuwait, check out this link. It’s the weather in the town closest to me.

No comments: