Monday, May 7, 2007

No, this picture wasn’t taken in Kuwait. It’s from my trip to Kenya last year and I’m working on getting those pictures posted on a photo sharing site. Maybe next week. No pictures of Kuwait this week. I’m sorry. The one I would have taken if I’d had my camera was a Kuwaiti woman dressed in full burqa and robe getting into a swimming pool, swimming around for a few minutes, and then getting out. I’ve seen it all now.

Having a car the last 2 weeks I’ve seen how crazy some of the locals drive. Imagine two left turn lanes and the car in the right lane pulling a U-turn in front of the car in the left hand lane. I’ve seen this 5 or 6 times since I’ve been here. They also drive amazingly fast, probably since there are few police and speed is enforced by cameras. But the cameras are in plain site and some even have signs posted before them. Just memorize where the cameras are and you won’t get a ticket.

FYI – After the metric and currency conversions, gas here is about $0.85/gallon.

The weather has started to heat up. The highest I’ve been out in so far was 109°F and it felt like standing in a blow dryer. But I’m told that it will get a lot hotter. Maybe up to 130. OUCH! And I saw a dust storm. I could only see about ¼ mile and had to breathe through a piece of cloth.

On Sunday morning, I was getting ready for work and flipping through my 3 sports channels and found the Oscar de la Hoya – Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight on. This was an HBO pay per view fight so I was surprised to see it televised. Not a great fight but still fun to see. I guess that’s one of the tradeoffs in Kuwait, no beer or bacon but free pay per view.

A work trip to Korea is possibly in the works so maybe that’s where go for my first visa run. I’ll keep you posted.

P.S. Zoe Wee, thanks for the tip. And they were U.S. Senators. I don’t know what hockey players would do in the desert.

No comments: